Thursday 30 May 2013

Working Dog Hard! 30/5/2013


Wow! what a day! The nice weather seems to have vanished but that doesn't mean that work stops, oh no!

So as I sat in the staff room drinking my morning coffee (a much needed necessity!) my boss comes in and says: 'I have a present for you in the back of the truck'. Now it was early and was not quite sure what he meant and whether I was going to like this 'present'. As it turned out I did very much enjoy the 'present'.

The previous night the boss had been out fishing and for once was successful in catching some Dog Fish. A strange thing to be happy for it may seem but I have been after these little critters for some time. I will be using the skins of them as pre-historic sand paper. The skin is very rough and I have been told when they are fighting before they are taken off the hook they can actually take your skin off as they struggle!!!!!!! So the perfect thing to use as sand paper. I have never done this before so I need to do some background research into the best way to use them, I will also be doing some tests to see if there is a preferable way to use the skin. When I am doing this I will do a blog post as a tutorial and let you know how it all goes! For the moment I have gutted them and de-headed them to stick in the freezer for use when I am down to the fine detail on the Prometheus (who new that my fish monger skills would come in so useful?).

STOP PRESS!
Once having my fun with cleaning the fish I got even better news than my earlier 'present'!
I was told that I had secured funding for my research and The Prometheus Project. I would like to thank the Council for British Archaeology Challenge Funding and English Heritage for their support! I can now start with earnest as I have a deadline to keep! Watch this space for the launch date!


So after such an exciting morning it was time to progress and get some hard work done. It has been 10 years since the Roman Villa has been completed and it has become a little forlorn over time but not for long as we started to give it a much needed face lift and some TLC. Unfortunately before we can start to do this we need to do some destruction first.
Today we set about removing the flaking lime wash from the front of the villa so that we can repaint and get a fantastic new white finish on the front. The villa front has been painted over a number of times but each coat has gone on top of the flaking coat underneath making the problem worse and worse. So to do the job properly we have stripped back the wash to its base layer and hopefully weather permitting we will start the re-wash this weekend. 
And after the outside has been done we will be moving on to pay much needed attention to other elements of our beautiful Roman Villa.

No comments:

Post a Comment