Thursday 16 May 2013

16/05/13: It's a Poo job but someone has to do it!

What a change in the weather! I cannot believe the change since the beginning of the week! And along with the nice weather comes the list of jobs that need to get done! 

The first job on the list today was to fix the toilette. Over the past couple of weeks at had come to my attention that our little 'out house' was becoming very unstable (a result of all the excited children that squeeze against it in order to get a peek at their favorite building on site!). It was now becoming dangerous and so I set about working out how to stablise it. 

Every kids favorite....the toilette. 
 I discovered that the problem was that the post holes had just been made bigger by years of being lent on rather than any posts rotting and so the solution was simple. I cut several wooden stakes and drove them into the ground next to the posts, now there is no wriggle room for the post to move in and the toilette is once again safe. A few new lashing were also tied on and some wattle redone just to spruce it up a little!
It is now ready for hundreds of more kids to crowd in and have a look at 'the most interesting building' on the site!

Other jobs on site today included the fitting of Swallow excluders on the upper windows on the villa. Every year we get Swallows flying in and out of the villa and last year even had a nest above one of the doors! This may seem very cute and nice but along with the Swallows comes their mess and it is usually my job to have to clean it all up, so this year I thought I would fix excluders to stop them getting in...........
One of the Roman Villa windows in question before and after the fitting of the Swallow excluder.
....... I soon discovered after having done most of the work that the windows in question are not square and my new excluders made this very clear! So once I had put one up in came back down and the windows look exactly like they did before! I however have a new plan so keep posted to learn if I am successful next time with my Swallow excluders!

No comments:

Post a Comment